Friday, December 21, 2007

Paris is nice

I ran into a friend's mom who told me what her daughter was up to.
"She got into a Hollywood party and met Paris Hilton and Brittany Spears and 'Paris is really nice.'"
At that moment I realized I honestly don't care.
I've had friends run into famous people.
A friend of a friend's uncle is Chuck Palahniuk. My friend got to spend some time with the writer and talk to him about his books. I was very interested in any insider information. What jobs did Palahniuk have that gave him ideas or knowledge?
But essentially Palahniuk is a man I don't think about, unlike Hilton and Spears which are in every grocery isle and slapped all over the internet.
But when someone I know actually met them I realized I don't care about these girls, not even a little bit.
I wouldn't want to met them. I don't feel like anything they do is important.
I didn't have an honest response to the mother's statement. I think it must have been 'neat' and we moved on from there.

But I really wish I could have responded, "Who are they? I've never heard of them."

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I totally hear that! The last straw for me was when actual news shows started putting them in as stories. I mean, I understand People magazine printing stories about them, but MSNBC? Are you KIDDING? I'm just waiting for them to add, "...and she is running for President," or "...has joined al qaeda" because I can't imagine why else they would be covering that story.

Holdinator said...

For a blissful couple of years following my mission I think I had never heard of Paris Hilton, then I don't know what happened... perhaps I turned on a television.