Tuesday, January 20, 2009

First you swing your hips



My grandma has always been hard on my older sister. When at 13 my sister wanted to walk to the main street of Eureka Montana my grandma put her foot down, "First you're gonna start swinging your hips, then your gonna say 'Come on boys! Come and get me!'"

It went a little far when my grandma stayed with us over a summer. At breakfast my grandma announced to big sis "One of your little customers showed up last night." A boy who had a crush on my sister had tried to talk to her but, too scared to call he knocked on her window. Which was then opened my by grandmother. He ran.

The boy looked like Archie from Riverdale and was about as innocent as Archie. Big sis was also an unlikely candidate for pr-teen fornication. In middle school my sister was slightly chubby, and painted sunflowers on everything in her room including the alarm clock and mini rocking chair which sat two teddy bears.

I've never figured out what grandma was holding against my sister. I have to think more about my grandma accusing big sis of immorality.

9 comments:

Sacajawea said...

Poor sister. Weird grandma

Jessica said...

That's really sad!!

Richard GermanChocolate said...

the title led me to think this was going to be about doing a brand new dance now come on baby do the locomotion

Rebecca said...

I think people are often mean to the people they find unattractive. People tend to think that unattractive people DESERVE to be unattractive, so they treat them as if they've done something wrong just so they can justify the fact that they think the other person is unattractive.

Your grandma probably thought your sister was immoral BECAUSE she was chubby (even though chubby does not equal unattractive - but for your grandma maybe it did in your sister's case).

For the record, I think your sister is completely beautiful, and would be beautiful even if she were chubby.

Lechelle said...

I think your grandma and my mom were friends.

Spencer Ellsworth said...

Oh... I'm still laughing Lechelle. Sorry...

whitney said...

Oh my heck! I'm assuming this is Wanda, right? (the Eureka Montana leads me to believe that, anyway). That is definitely a side of her no one talks about any more. That's so harsh!

chrissy said...

ha ha ha no my parents met in high school. It's my dad's mom Lorna.

whitney said...

Ahhh, that's right. "It's all coming back to me now..." [cue the bad Celine Dion singing]