Thursday, September 18, 2008

grrrrrr


For over a week I've been in the most rotten mood.
If I posted it would be posts like how I really hate people waving.
So in honor of my sour mood I will post about boarding a plane.

Spencer and I were on a study abroad in 2005. Most of the students we went with had never left Utah, so you can imagine the unbridled stupidity that followed. We were in Ireland where they announced that they would be boarding mothers with children first. It was all in English, however, my group pushed past, mothers trying to herd their children while nauseatingly singing "I'm proud to be an American."

The group would do things like invite people into their flat and wash their hair. They would spend more time in the gift shops than the museums. Buy ten or more garish key chains for 4 pounds each, to give to their poor friends and family back home. on crowded tube and metro stations they put their luggage on the seats leaving commuters to stand.
Most of the time I felt like I was following Sesame Street's Twiddle Bugs.
My group is the reason Europeans have a rude stereotype of Americans.

4 comments:

Mark Nott said...

the trick is to put a canadian flag on your backpack, then everyone likes you. You're close enough to the border that it's not a complete lie

Chrissy said...

I saw that happen. Actually everyone thought I was German. I guess I picked up those Lifferth genes.

Once I had a crazy drunk man scream at me when I walked by, "Ya Fecken German."

Rebecca said...

Man, I am SO GLAD I didn't go with BYU - Chapman students were "American" enough. The English loved me, though, because I was quiet. This guy on the underground asked a group of loud Americans (that I didn't know) why they couldn't be like me.

I want to say something to cheer you up but I can't think of anything.

Holdinator said...

"unbridled stupidity"

Wonderful!